Student Freedom Pass
FREE & UNLIMITED
The Student Freedom Pass provides people ages 13-17 years old with unlimited free rides on Hampton Roads Transit’s bus, ferry, and light rail services. Service is available in the cities of Chesapeake, Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, Portsmouth, and Virginia Beach. In all cases, the Student Freedom Pass will expire two months after the student’s expected high school graduation date, or the 18th birthday, whichever is later. Any exceptions to this policy will be handled on a case by case basis. Parents can enjoy the time and money they will save when they stop chauffeuring and leave the safe and reliable driving to Hampton Roads Transit.
Hampton Roads Transit staff is available to come to your school to distribute passes to students. Contact us to request.
Apply for your Student Freedom Pass
PLAN YOUR TRIP ON BUS, LIGHT RAIL, AND FERRY
- Go to Trip Planner – Fill in your starting and ending destination and the Trip Planner will identify the location of the closest stop, what time to be at the stop, and which route to take. If you already know which route(s) you want to take, click routes to see maps and arrival times.
- Go to a Hampton Roads Transit office in Norfolk or Hampton to pick up printed schedules. Each schedule shows the route and time the bus reaches key points.
- Call (757) 222-6100 and our Customer Service staff will help you plan your trip.
- There are also several third-party apps available such as HRT Bus Finder, that provide schedules and times.
Always remain seated or hold on to handrails when any vehicle is in motion.
- Always wait for bus at designated stops/shelters.
- Enter through the front door and exit through the back door.
- Buses are equipped with interior and exterior cameras.
- Only cross tracks at designated crosswalks after the train has passed.
- Always stand behind the red rumble strips at stations.
- Emergency call boxes and cameras are located on each train and at each station.
- When boarding the ferry, hold on to the handrail and watch your step as you walk over the gangway.
- Do not sit on the bow or side of the vessel, lean out the windows, or stand on the seats.
- Ferries are equipped with interior and exterior cameras.
- Have your fare card ready before boarding.
- Let passengers exit before you board.
- Do not distract the driver.
- Keep your items in your lap.
- Offer your seat to an elderly, disabled, or pregnant person.
- Keep your feet off the seat and take litter off vehicle with you.
- Use only G-rated words.
- Groove, jam, or rock out with your headphones.
- No eating or drinking in the vehicle.
- Don’t invade others personal space. It’s creepy.
- Don’t threaten the operator or another passenger.
- No smoking in the vehicle or at stations.
Mr. William Harrell, HRT President & CEO, talks about the benefits of the Student Freedom Pass