Student Freedom Pass
FREE & UNLIMITED
Apply for your Student Freedom Pass
The Student Freedom Pass provides people ages 13-17 years old with unlimited free rides on Hampton Roads Transit’s bus, ferry, and light rail services. Service is available in the cities of Chesapeake, Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, Portsmouth, and Virginia Beach. In all cases, the Student Freedom Pass will expire two months after the student’s expected high school graduation date, or the 18th birthday, whichever is later. Any exceptions to this policy will be handled on a case by case basis. Parents can enjoy the time and money they will save when they stop chauffeuring and leave the safe and reliable driving to Hampton Roads Transit.
Hampton Roads Transit staff is available to come to your school to distribute passes to students. Contact us to request.
PLAN YOUR TRIP ON BUS, LIGHT RAIL, AND FERRY
- Go to Trip Planner – Fill in your starting and ending destination and the Trip Planner will identify the location of the closest stop, what time to be at the stop, and which route to take. If you already know which route(s) you want to take, click routes to see maps and arrival times.
- Go to a Hampton Roads Transit office in Norfolk or Hampton to pick up printed schedules. Each schedule shows the route and time the bus reaches key points.
- Call (757) 222-6100 and our Customer Service staff will help you plan your trip.
- There are also several third-party apps available such as HRT Bus Finder, that provide schedules and times.
- Provides everyone ages 13-17 years old unlimited free rides on all HRT services.
- Full access to all bus, ferry, and light rail services across the cities of Chesapeake, Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, Portsmouth, and Virginia Beach.
- FREE Wifi available on select routes/buses
- Valid until the summer after the passholder’s High School graduation, or their 18th birthday, whichever is later.
- Parents, leave the safe and reliable transportation to HRT and enjoy your newly saved time and money spent on being chauffeur.
- Be Prepared: Go to Trip Planner and fill in your trip information to identify stop locations and times.
- Make sure to review our safety and security guidelines and the passenger code of conduct before you ride.
- Have your fare card ready before boarding.
- Let passengers exit before you board.
- Do not distract the driver.
- Keep your items in your lap.
- Offer your seat to an elderly, disabled, or pregnant person.
- Keep your feet off the seat and take litter off vehicle with you.
- Use only G-rated words.
- Groove, jam, or rock out with your headphones.
- No eating or drinking in the vehicle.
- Don’t invade others personal space. It’s creepy.
- Don’t threaten the operator or another passenger.
- No smoking in the vehicle or at stations.
Mr. William Harrell, HRT President & CEO, talks about the benefits of the Student Freedom Pass