Security, Safety, Courtesy
For the comfort and safety of all passengers
- Passenger Code of Conduct
- Have fare ready for payment when boarding the bus.
- Let other passengers get off before you get on.
- Respect priority seating areas for seniors and persons with disabilities.
- Keep the aisles clear. Hold your things in your lap or put them under the seat.
- Do not eat, drink, or smoke on the bus or train.
- Be sure to use earphones when using audio or video devices.
- Cell phones – talk quietly, please.
- Avoid spreading germs by covering a sneeze or cough.
- Trash – put it in the bag on board or take it with you when you leave.
- Only service animals are welcome.
- Watch your language. Children may be listening.
- To allow for faster boarding, please exit through the door closest to you.
Brought to you by the HRT Transit Riders’ Advisory Committee.
- Light Rail Safety Tips
- Bus Safety Tips
- Ferry Safety Tips
- Suspicious Activities/Behavior
- Homeland Security Violations
Our most important mission at Hampton Roads Transit (HRT) is to ensure the well-being of our passengers and employees. Our goal is to achieve the highest level of safety through the promotion of proactive safety and security programs across all HRT modes of transit, in an effort to protect passengers, employees, and property.
These programs assist with both our mission and goals, but HRT needs your interaction as well, because the safety and security of our transit system is everyone’s responsibility. You play the most important part in keeping yourself and others safe and secure when using public transportation.