Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE)
The Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) program is a Federal program designed to remedy ongoing discrimination and the continuing effects of past discrimination in federally-assisted highway, transit and airport contracting markets nationwide. The primary remedial goal and objective of the DBE program is to level the playing field by providing small businesses owned and controlled by socially and economically disadvantaged individuals a fair opportunity to compete for federally-funded transportation contracts.
Hampton Roads Transit has developed and implemented a DBE program and overall agency goal that conforms to the U.S. Department of Transportation’s (DOT) standards set forth in 49 CFR Part 26. The overall agency goal is updated on a triennial basis.
Hampton Roads Transit shall not discriminate in any manner on the basis of race, color, sex or national origin, and shall take all reasonable steps to ensure that Virginia certified DBEs have the maximum opportunity to participate in Hampton Roads Transit’s DOT-assisted contracts.
The objectives of Hampton Roads Transit’s DBE Program are:
- To ensure nondiscrimination in the award and administration of DOT-assisted contracts;
- To ensure that the DBE program is narrowly tailored in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws;
- To ensure that only firms fully meeting the eligibility requirements of the DBE program are permitted to participate;
- To help create a level playing field on which DBEs can fairly compete for DOT-assisted contracts;
- To help remove barriers to the participation of DBEs in DOT-assisted contracts;
- To help and assist in the development of firms that can compete successfully in the marketplace outside of the DBE program; and
- To provide appropriate flexibility to establish and provide DBEs opportunities to participate in DOT-assisted contracts in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
These objectives will be implemented through Hampton Roads Transit’s DBE program utilizing race-neutral measures to the maximum extent feasible.
Small businesses interested in participating in DOT-assisted contracts with Hampton Roads Transit under the DBE Program must be Virginia DBE certified. More information regarding the certification process for the Commonwealth of Virginia can be found by visiting the Virginia Department of Small Business and Supplier Diversity.
Assistance & Questions
DBE & Grants Coordinator
Hampton Roads Transit
509 E. 18th Street, Building 4
Norfolk, Virginia 23504
(757) 222-6000 ext. 6418