Paratransit services are federally mandated through the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990. HRT’s Paratransit service is an origin-to-destination, shared-ride service for the cities of Chesapeake, Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, Portsmouth and Virginia Beach.
HRT provides Paratransit services to and from locations within 3/4 of a mile of our existing fixed-route services, using a variety of vehicles including lift-equipped vans.
Apply for Paratransit Service
To apply or recertify for Hampton Roads Transit Paratransit services, call ADARIDE toll free at (877) ADA-RIDE (1-877-232-7433) and request an application by mail. Or start the process online by visiting adaride.com. ADARIDE offers telephone support on weekdays.
For certified customers scheduling or checking on a ride, please contact the Paratransit Call Center at (757) 455-8010. Their phone system offers the following options:
- Option 1: Connects the caller to reservations. The reservations lines are open every day from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Peak calling times are 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Calls during these hours may experience longer hold times. An automated announcement gives callers an estimated wait time.
- Option 2: “Where’s my Ride” checks on a scheduled ride. You will need your Paratransit ID number and password — your 4-digit year of birth — to check on a ride. If you have difficulty using the automated service, please contact Reservations (Option 1) or the Dispatch office (Option 4, then Option 2) for additional assistance.
- Option 3: To cancel a scheduled trip. These calls go to the Operations Department, where you can leave a message if no one is available to take your call.
- Option 4: Connects the caller to the Operations Department (MV Transportation) where you will be offered the following options:
- Option 2 connects to the Dispatch office
- Option 5 for the Safety Manager
- Option 6 for the Maintenance Manager
- Option 7 for the Operations Manager
- Option 8 for the General Manager
Two standing committees meet regularly to discuss issues of concern to the Paratransit community. Meetings are open and welcoming.
Once approved for Paratransit services, you are also eligible for free fare on HRT fixed-route services (Bus, Light Rail, Ferry).
To be issued a Paratransit photo ID which will authorize you for the free fare program, bring your HRT Certificate of Eligibility for ADA Paratransit Services with a matching State/Military/Government ID to your nearest HRT ID Processing location. There is no fee for your initial ID badge. Replacement ID badges are $15, limit of one replacement per calendar year.
Paratransit Fares and Where To Buy Tickets
The current fare for Paratransit is $3.50 per trip. Paratransit services are not included in any of the HRT’s Discounted Fare programs. Drivers can only accept cash or tickets from customers as they board. If paying with cash, exact fare is required. Drivers cannot make change.
Documents and Forms
- How to Ride Quick Guide
- NoShow and Late Cancellation Policy
- Unified Service Plan and Policy
- Emergency Service Request Policy (HTML) (PDF)
- Appeals Guide
- Appeals Policies and Procedures
- Eligibility Appeal Form
- Sanction Appeal Form
- Paratransit Advisory Committee Guidelines
Help from HRT
For general Paratransit information or information in an alternate form, call the HRT Paratransit office directly at (757) 222-6087. Our office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Email email@example.com.
For assistance with Paratransit IDs, call (757) 222-6100 or TTY 711.
We Want Your Input
To offer suggestions, or express a concern about our Paratransit services, contact us:
- Call (757) 222-6100 or TTY 711
- Write to us at:
Hampton Roads Transit
Attention: Paratransit Services
3400 Victoria Boulevard
Hampton, VA 23661
- Use our online Customer Feedback form