Paratransit services are federally mandated through the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990. HRT’s Paratransit service is an origin-to-destination, shared-ride service for the cities of Chesapeake, Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, Portsmouth and Virginia Beach.
HRT provides Paratransit services to and from locations within 3/4 of a mile of our existing fixed-route services, using a variety of vehicles including lift-equipped vans.
Apply for Paratransit Service
To apply or recertify for Hampton Roads Transit Paratransit services, call ADARIDE toll free at (877) ADA-RIDE (1-877-232-7433) and request an application by mail. Or start the process online by visiting adaride.com. ADARIDE offers telephone support on weekdays.
For certified customers scheduling or checking on a ride, please contact the Paratransit Call Center at (757) 455-8010. Their phone system offers the following options:
- Option 1: Connects the caller to reservations. The reservations lines are open every day from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Peak calling times are 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Calls during these hours may experience longer hold times. An automated announcement gives callers an estimated wait time.
- Option 2: “Where’s my Ride” checks on a scheduled ride. You will need your Paratransit ID number and password — your 4-digit year of birth — to check on a ride. If you have difficulty using the automated service, please contact Reservations (Option 1) or the Dispatch office (Option 4, then Option 2) for additional assistance.
- Option 3: To cancel a scheduled trip or to request a ticket purchase. These calls go to the Operations Department, where you can leave a message if no one is available to take your call.
- Option 4: Connects the caller to the Operations Department (MV Transportation) where you will be offered the following options:
- Option 2 connects to the Dispatch office
- Option 5 for the Safety Manager
- Option 6 for the Maintenance Manager
- Option 7 for the Operations Manager
- Option 8 for the General Manager
Two standing committees meet regularly to discuss issues of concern to the Paratransit community. Meetings are open and welcoming.
Getting your HRT Paratransit ID
There is no fee for your initial ID. Replacement IDs are $15. Bring your valid Paratransit certification card, and a valid state or military issued ID to one of the HRT ID processing locations:
- Downtown Norfolk Transit Center
- Hampton Transit Center
- 18th Street Administration Facility
Where To Buy
Paratransit tickets may be purchased at many retail locations in Hampton Roads.
Documents and Forms
- How to Ride Quick Guide
- MV Transportation Order Form
- NoShow and Late Cancellation Policy
- Unified Service Plan and Policy
- Emergency Service Request Policy
- Appeals Guide
- Appeals Policies and Procedures
- Eligibility Appeal Form
- Sanction Appeal Form
- Paratransit Advisory Committee Guidelines
Help from HRT
For general Paratransit information or information in an alternate form, call the HRT Paratransit office directly at (757) 222-6087. Our office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For assistance with Paratransit IDs, call (757) 222-6000 or TTY 711.
For information on fixed-route service and fares, call HRT Customer Service at (757) 222-6100 or TTY 711.
We Want Your Input
To offer suggestions, or express a concern about our Paratransit services, contact us:
- Call (757) 222-6100 or TTY 711
- Write to us at:
Hampton Roads Transit
Attention: Paratransit Services
3400 Victoria Boulevard
Hampton, VA 23661
- Use our online Customer Feedback form