Metrics for VIA Paratransit Services
Avg. Wait Time to Check on Ride Status 80 sec
Avg. Wait Time for New Bookings 2.8 min
On Time Performance 82%
Paratransit services are federally mandated through the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990. HRT’s Paratransit service is an origin-to-destination, shared-ride service for the cities of Chesapeake, Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, Portsmouth and Virginia Beach.
HRT provides Paratransit services to and from locations within 3/4 of a mile of our existing fixed-route services, using a variety of vehicles including lift-equipped vans.
For certified customers scheduling or checking on a ride, please contact the HRT Paratransit Call Center at (757) 455-8010. The Call Center is open 7 days a week, but please note:
- You can book rides over the phone between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- You can get live support for confirmed rides any time of the day, except between 2 a.m. and 5 a.m.
Our phone system offers the following options:
- Option 1: Connects the caller to reservations. The reservation lines are open 7 days a week between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Peak calling times are 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. during which time the wait will likely be longer.
- Option 2: Connects the caller to support for a currently booked or live ride. You will need your HRT Paratransit ID number to check on a ride.
- Option 3: Allows the caller to cancel a scheduled trip.
- Option 4: Connects the caller to the local HRT Paratransit operations team, which includes Lost & Found.
- Option 5: Connects the caller to Hampton Roads Transit.
Apply for Paratransit Service
To apply or recertify for Hampton Roads Transit Paratransit services, call ADARIDE toll free at (877) ADA-RIDE (1-877-232-7433) and request an application by mail. Or start the process online by visiting adaride.com. ADARIDE offers telephone support on weekdays.
Once approved for Paratransit services, you are also eligible for free fare on HRT fixed-route services (Bus, Light Rail, Ferry).
To be issued a Paratransit photo ID which will authorize you for the free fare program, bring your HRT Certificate of Eligibility for ADA Paratransit Services with a matching State/Military/Government ID to your nearest HRT ID Processing location. There is no fee for your initial ID badge. Replacement ID badges are $15, limit of one replacement per calendar year.
Paratransit Fares and Where To Buy Tickets
The current fare for Paratransit is $3.50 per trip. Paratransit services are not included in any of the HRT’s Discounted Fare programs. Drivers can only accept cash or tickets from customers as they board. If paying with cash, exact fare is required. Drivers cannot make change.
Documents and Forms
- Feb.1 – Paratransit Service with a New Operator
- How to Ride Quick Guide
- NoShow and Late Cancellation Policy
- Unified Service Plan and Policy
- Emergency Service Request Policy (HTML) (PDF)
- Appeals Guide
- Appeals Policies and Procedures
- Eligibility Appeal Form
- Sanction Appeal Form
- Paratransit Advisory Committee Guidelines
Help from HRT
For general Paratransit information or information in an alternate form, call the HRT Paratransit office directly at (757) 222-6087. Our office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Email email@example.com.
For assistance with Paratransit IDs, call (757) 222-6100 or TTY 711.
Two standing committees meet regularly to discuss issues of concern to the Paratransit community. Meetings are open and welcoming.
We Want Your Input
To offer suggestions, or express a concern about our Paratransit services, contact us:
- Call (757) 222-6100 or TTY 711
- Write to us at:
Hampton Roads Transit
Attention: Paratransit Services
3400 Victoria Boulevard
Hampton, VA 23661
- Use our online Customer Feedback form