Metrics for VIA Paratransit Services
Avg. Wait Time to Check on Ride Status 0 sec
Avg. Wait Time for New Bookings 0 sec
On Time Performance 97%
Paratransit services are federally mandated through the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990. HRT’s Paratransit service is an origin-to-destination, shared-ride service for the cities of Chesapeake, Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, Portsmouth and Virginia Beach.
HRT provides Paratransit services to and from locations within 3/4 of a mile of our existing fixed-route services, using a variety of vehicles including lift-equipped vans.
For certified customers scheduling or checking on a ride, please contact the HRT Paratransit Call Center at (757) 455-8010. The Call Center is open seven days a week, but please note:
- You can schedule rides over the phone only between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. for the next seven days
- You can get live support to check on or cancel a confirmed ride any time of the day from 4:00 a.m. through 12:00 a.m. (midnight)
When you call the current phone system, you will be prompted to enter your HRT Paratransit ID number followed by the pound (#) sign.
If you call from the primary phone number associated with your client profile, you will be connected to the fully automated response system which offers the following choices:
- Option 1: Allows you to check on all your scheduled rides for the next seven days.
- Option 2: Allows you to add a credit/debit card for fare payment(s) to your account.
- Option 0: Connects you to the main menu.
If you call from a different phone number, you will be connected directly to the main menu with multiple options. You will need your HRT Paratransit ID number to schedule or check on a ride. You can select zero (0) at any time for live support.
- Option 1: Connects you to reservations. The reservation lines are open seven days a week, 365 days a year between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Peak calling times are 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. during which time you should expect your wait to be longer.
- Option 2: Connects you to support for a currently scheduled ride.
- Option 3: Allows you to cancel a scheduled trip.
- Option 4: Connects you to Hampton Roads Transit.
Apply for Paratransit Service
To apply or recertify for Hampton Roads Transit Paratransit services, call ADARIDE toll free at (877) ADA-RIDE (1-877-232-7433) and request an application by mail. Or start the process online by visiting adaride.com. ADARIDE offers telephone support on weekdays.
Once approved for Paratransit services, you are also eligible for free fare on HRT fixed-route services (Bus, Light Rail, Ferry).
To be issued a Paratransit photo ID which will authorize you for the free fare program, bring your HRT Certificate of Eligibility for ADA Paratransit Services with a matching State/Military/Government ID to your nearest HRT ID Processing location. There is no fee for your initial ID badge. Replacement ID badges are $15, limit of one replacement per calendar year.
Paratransit Fares and Where To Buy Tickets
The current fare for Paratransit is $3.50 per trip. Paratransit services are not included in any of the HRT’s Discounted Fare programs. Drivers can only accept cash or tickets from customers as they board. If paying with cash, exact fare is required. Drivers cannot make change.
PDF Documents and Forms
- Paratransit Customer Eligibility Information Package
- How to Ride Quick Guide
- NoShow and Late Cancellation Policy
- Unified Service Plan and Policy
- Emergency Service Request Policy
- Appeals Guide
- Appeals Policies and Procedures
- Eligibility Appeal Form
- Sanction Appeal Form
- Paratransit Advisory Committee Guidelines
Help from HRT
For general Paratransit information or information in an alternate form, call the HRT Paratransit office directly at (757) 222-6087. Our office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For assistance with Paratransit IDs, call (757) 222-6100 or TTY 711.
Two standing committees meet regularly to discuss issues of concern to the Paratransit community. Meetings are open and welcoming.
We Want Your Input
To offer suggestions, or express a concern about our Paratransit services, contact us:
- Call (757) 222-6100 or TTY 711
- Write to us at:
Hampton Roads Transit
Attention: Paratransit Services
3400 Victoria Boulevard
Hampton, VA 23661
- Use our online Customer Feedback form