Passenger Code of Conduct
Hampton Road Transit (HRT) has established this policy governing vandalism and misconduct on all HRT properties to include and not be limited to buses, train, ferry, Transfer Centers, Park & Ride locations, bus shelters and signage, administrative and operations facilities. This policy also includes any property or equipment within the railroad right of way of The Tide system.
Prohibited Conduct on HRT Vehicles and Property
It is prohibited for any person to commit the following acts on any HRT asset or on any HRT property:
- HRT facilities and properties are for paying or otherwise authorized customers riding the bus, light rail, ferry, and trolley. Anyone found using HRT services for anything other than what it was intended for is trespassing.
- Individuals at HRT bus, light rail shelters, ferry docks and HRT transit centers are required to have valid fare or otherwise approved permission. Time limits of no more than 1 hour waiting for a bus, light rail, ferry, or trolley are enforced at all transit centers, light rail stations, bus shelters and ferry docks.
- Smoking or possessing any lighted or smoldering material or the expulsion of any such material or its residue. Additionally, the use of electronic smoking or “vaping” devices of any kind for any purpose is prohibited.
- Consuming any beverages, food, or alcohol.
- Entering or attempting to enter any HRT facility or asset without a shirt, pants, and shoes, or removing said item or items while in transit or within an HRT operated facility.
- Vandalizing any vehicle or vessel, transfer center facility, shelter area, park & ride area, station platform or other HRT owned or operated asset by writing, marking, scribbling, defacing, or causing damage to the vehicle or property in any manner.
- Engaging in disruptive, disturbing behavior to include and not be limited to:
- Playing or operating any radio, television or other electronic device unless the sound can only be heard through earphones and is totally inaudible to all other passengers and or HRT personnel.
- Loud conversation, profanity, or rude insults.
- Playing or utilizing any musical instruments or other sound producing devices.
- Spitting, urinating, or defecating in or upon any properties to include and not be limited to vehicles, facilities or any part of any property owned or operated by HRT.
- Extending any object or any portion of one’s body through a door or window of a transit vehicle while it is in motion.
- Destroying, damaging, defacing, soiling, or removing any part of the vehicle, facility or any other property owned or operated by HRT.
- No person shall place or attempt to place any paper, article, instrument, or item, other than HRT approved fare media, into any farebox or ticket vending machine located aboard any HRT vehicle or at any HRT owned or operated site.
- No one shall participate in the passing or display of handouts, flyers or advertisements unless granted permission in writing by HRT.
- No one shall be permitted to post handouts, flyers, or other similar media on to parked cars in park and ride locations unless granted permission in writing by HRT.
- No one shall participate in the solicitation of any goods or services unless authorized in writing by HRT.
- Animals are not permitted except for animals in small cages that do not require separate seats (Bus and Ferry service ONLY), as well as any pet or animal whose purpose is to assist a person with a disability or to assist in training activities.
- Animals are not allowed aboard Light Rail vehicles with the exception of those whose purpose is to assist a person with a disability or to assist in training activities (Norfolk City Code Section 34.2-8).
- Laying on seats, benches or other similar areas aboard HRT vehicles or vessels or at any HRT owned or operated site.
- Possessing or transporting any hazardous materials, flammable liquid, radioactive or explosive or otherwise dangerous or volatile substance such as gasoline, kerosene or propane. This includes “hoverboards” lithium cells or batteries, gas-powered scooters, car or motorcycle batteries, and fuel containers.
- Possessing, using, transporting, or selling any controlled substance.
- Carrying, possessing, transporting, or having immediate access to any illegal weapon.
- Throwing, depositing, placing, or discarding any paper, bottles, cans, or any other refuse or waste in or upon any HRT vehicle or property.
- Wrestle, scuffle, fight or act in manner which disturbs the peace and quiet or safety or sense of safety of any person, or impedes the safe or timely operation of any HRT service at or aboard any HRT vehicle or at any HRT site or property.
- Trespassing upon any vehicle or property not open to the public or posted as such (Va. Code 18.2-119)
- Leaving baggage or other property unattended or placing items in an obstructive manner aboard vehicles and vessels or on, at or within facilities or other structures.
- Allowing juveniles or persons in one’s care to behave in any manner that may jeopardize the normal conduct of HRT business.
Other Prohibited Items Specific for Buses
- Stand or remain in front of the white (or yellow) line marked on the forward end of the floor of any bus while bus is in motion or after being asked to step back behind the line by the driver or other HRT representative.
- Interfere with the bus driver’s operation of the bus.
- Enter the bus through the rear door unless authorized to do so by the driver or other HRT employee.
- Blocking aisles with personal items is not allowed at any time.
- Large items must be able to fit either in the patron’s lap or in the space in front of the patron’s feet. Items may not be stored in another seat. Strollers, carts or similar items must be collapsed prior to boarding, and may not be stored in the aisle.
Other Prohibited Items Specific for Light Rail trains
- Standing, sitting, or lying within the colored detectable warning pavers on the edge of the train station platforms except for boarding and exiting the light rail vehicles.
- Skating or skateboarding on station platforms (City Code Section 34.2-9)
- Pay-per-use scooters operated by third parties or municipalities are not allowed on HRT assets or vehicles, as they cannot be safely stored in storage compartments.
- Blocking the aisles with personal items is not allowed at any time.
- Large items must be able to fit either in the patron’s lap or in the space in front of the patron’s feet. Items may not be stored in another seat.
- Strollers, carts or similar items must be collapsed prior to boarding, and may not be stored in the aisle.
- It shall be unlawful for any person to board or ride any light rail vehicle when he/she uses a fraudulent or counterfeit ticket as a means to evade payment of the posted fare published by HRT. A violation of this continues from the point of boarding through termination of the light rail vehicle’s scheduled trip. (City Code Section 34. 2-3 5(b))
- A passenger who refuses to provide proof of fare payment or conform to any lawful regulation may be removed from the public transportation system, light rail vehicle or rail transit platform by any authorized person at any rail transit platform or usual stopping place. (City Code Section 34. 2-4)
- Hang onto or attach his or her body to any exterior part of a light rail vehicle or touch a moving light rail vehicle. (City Code Section 34. 2-9 (2))
- Enter between coupled light rail vehicles. (City Code Section 34. 2-9 (3))
- Throw an object at or from any light rail vehicle or at any person or thing on or in any light rail vehicle or rail transit platform. (City Code Section 34 2.9 (5))
- Light a flashlight, scope light, laser light, or object that projects a flashing light or beams of light while inside a light rail vehicle or towards a light rail vehicle, except in an emergency. (City Code Section 34. 2-9 (c3))
- HRT staff and/or security will require any fare paying passenger riding the train for more than one round trip to exit the train. THERE IS NO LOITERING ALLOWED ON THE TRAINS OR AT THE STATION PLATFORMS.
ANY PERSON WHO IS OBSERVED BY AN HRT EMPLOYEE OR SECURITY OFFICER TO BE VIOLATING ANY OF THESE RULES AND WHO MAY RECEIVE OR HAS RECEIVED A NOTICE OF VIOLATION THEREFORE IS SUBJECT TO EJECTION FROM ANY TRANSIT VEHICLE OR FACILITY.
The information listed in this policy is subject to change and update at any time.
Hampton Roads Transit reserves the right to temporarily or permanently bar persons from its properties or modes of transit in accordance with Virginia Code § 18.2-119 or any other applicable local ordinance. Violations of the HRT Passenger Code of Conduct or any of the below prohibited activities may result in banishment from HRT sites or services:
The following are prohibited activities at any HRT property, building, structure, station, bus stop, transfer center, dock, pier, track or on any vehicle owned, operated and/or maintained by HRT:
- Disorderly, lewd or lascivious conduct.
- Fighting, assault and battery or other threatening behavior.
- Engaging in public display “in hand” or use of any firearms or other deadly weapons.
- Damaging, destroying, and/or defacing the property of HRT, its employees or customers.
- Harassment or stalking.
- Urination or defecation anywhere other than a restroom.
- Unsafe or reckless driving.
- Consuming alcoholic beverages on any HRT property.
- Selling, distributing, consuming or possessing illegal drugs or drug paraphernalia on HRT property.
- Engaging in any criminal activity on HRT property.
- Engaging in conduct which interferes with HRT business operations by adversely affecting the health, safety or welfare of any employee, customer, contractor and/or properties of HRT, or the public at large.
- Engaging in any form of solicitation without proper permits and permissions.
- Grounding, using hand signals, gestures and/or clothing to show gang affiliation for the purpose of threatening or intimidating HRT employees, customers, contractors or other gang related activity.
- Attempting to elude payment of the proper fare, including, but not limited to, non-payment; use of counterfeit fare media; use of counterfeit passes; etc.
- Any act that obstructs, hinders, interferes, disturbs, distracts, impedes, or harasses with the normal operation of an HRT property, vehicle or operator.