Public transportation is a critical component of any thriving community. We spent several months talking to commuters to find out why they ride Hampton Roads Transit. While they all have different reasons, what we discovered is that a majority are going back and forth to work.
- Public transit provides people with a reliable way to get to work.
- 62% of HRT riders are going back and forth to work.
- Customers say that public transit is a more efficient, cost-effective, and environmentally friendly way to get to work.
Employers Rely on Efficient Public Transit
- When Amazon was building in Suffolk and Chesapeake, it wanted to ensure workers could get to the facilities.
- The Route 980 was created to support Amazon.
- During its first 12 months, ridership on Route 980 increased from the twenties to more than 1,600 riders a month.
- Newport News Shipbuilding lacks the infrastructure to support parking for all employees, making public transportation the preferred way to get to work for many.
- Many Sentara Norfolk General Hospital workers also utilize public transit because of parking limitations.
Benefits with HRT’s GoPass365
- Many employers offer HRT’s GoPass365 as an incentive to employees.
- With GoPass365, riders can save more than 70% annually on transit fare.
Watch your inbox for more in our Why I Ride series as we continue to explore all the ways Hampton Roads Transit provides access to employment, education, entertainment, and essential appointments.