Transit Strategic Plan FY2021
HRT’s inaugural Transit Strategic Plan (TSP) is developed based on specific guidelines approved by the Commonwealth Transportation Board and overseen by the Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation (DRPT).
The TSP replaces the Transit Development Plan formerly required by DRPT.
The TSP covers a 10-year planning horizon (FY2021-2030). It is a strategic blueprint that outlines changes that will improve HRT services across the six cities of Chesapeake, Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, Portsmouth, and Virginia Beach.
The TSP is a “living document” – it will be updated annually and undergo a major update every 5 years. It contains a wealth of information about regional transit. In addition to service planning, operations, and information on capital needs (like new bus purchases, technology upgrades, and customer amenities), the TSP also documents the new Hampton Roads Regional Transit Program (Chapter 6).
The goal of this Program, based on new law passed by the Virginia General Assembly in 2020, “is to provide a modern, safe, and efficient core network of transit services across the Hampton Roads region.” The centerpiece of the Hampton Roads Regional Transit Program is a new core bus network, or “regional backbone”, that will feature high-frequency bus service connecting cities across Hampton Roads. The Program will be largely funded through the new Hampton Roads Regional Transit Fund, administered through the Hampton Roads Transportation Accountability Commission (HRTAC).
As required by law, HRT’s governing board adopted the FY21-30 Transit Strategic Plan on June 25, 2020.
Transit Strategic Plan
- Chapter 1 – System Overview and Strategic Vision
- Chapter 2 – System Performance and Operations Analysis
- Chapter 3 – Planned Improvements and Modifications
- Chapter 4 – Implementation Plan
- Chapter 5 – Financial Plan
- Chapter 6 – Hampton Roads Regional Transit Program
- Chapters 1-6 – (80MB)
- Appendix A – Agency Profile and System Overview
- Appendix B – Phased System Maps for Chapter 3 Cost Constrained Plan
- Appendix C – Estimated Ridership Methodology and Results
- Appendix D – On-Demand (Microtransit) Service
- Appendices A-D (26MB)
- Full Document (106MB)
- Resolution of TSP Adoption (June 2020)