Paratransit service works side-by-side with our fixed-route services in a “demand-response” capacity, meaning eligible customers call in advance for the service to be delivered. A fare is required for each ride. These services are federally mandated through the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990. People with disabilities are entitled to the same public transit opportunities that everyone else uses and enjoys. Hampton Roads Transit’s Paratransit service is an origin-to-destination, shared-ride service. The service we provide is not door-to-door, as may be the case in some other parts of the country.
In the cities of Chesapeake, Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, Portsmouth and Virginia Beach, Hampton Roads Transit provides Paratransit services to and from locations within 3/4 of a mile of our existing fixed-route services using a variety of vehicles, including lift-equipped vans.
- For general Paratransit information please call the HRT Paratransit office directly at (757) 222-6087. Our office hours are 8 AM to 4 PM.
- To apply or recertify for Hampton Roads Transit Paratransit services call ADARIDE toll free at 877-ADA-RIDE (1-877-232-7433) to request an application by mail, or go to www.adaride.com and start the process. Please be advised, ADARIDE telephone operation hours are 11 AM to 8 PM EST.
- For certified customers scheduling or checking on a ride, please contact the Paratransit Call Center at (757) 455-8010 which offers the following options:
- Option 1 – Connects the caller to reservations. The reservations lines are open 8 AM to 5 PM, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Please be advised our peak calling times are 8 AM to 10 AM and 3 PM to 5 PM. Calls received within these hours may experience longer hold times. There is an automated announcement that gives callers an estimated wait time.
- Option 2 – “Where’s my Ride” to check on a scheduled ride. This line is now fully automated, you will need your Paratransit ID number and password (your 4 digit year of birth) to check on a ride. If you have difficulty using the automated service, please contact Reservations (Option 1) or the Dispatch office (Option 4, then Option 2) for additional assistance.
- Option 3 – To cancel a scheduled trip or to request a ticket purchase. These calls go to our operations department where you can leave a message if no one is available to take your call.
- Option 4 – Connects the caller to the Operations Department (MV Transportation) where you will be offered the following options:
- Option 2 connects to the Dispatch office
- Option 5 for the Safety Manager
- Option 6 for the Maintenance Manager
- Option 7 for the Operations Manager
- Option 8 for the General Manager
- For information on fixed-route service and fares, please call HRT customer relations at (757) 222-6100
- TDD/TTY customers call 711 for Virginia relay service
On March 3, 2014, HRT began a new process to certify new customers and re-certify existing customers. The most noticeable change is there is a new application and verification form, so the old forms will no longer be accepted. Customers will see a faster time to complete the application. An in-person interview is no longer required for the process. Additionally, customers can check on the status of their application via the web. ADARIDE has information available of our existing customers and is familiar with our service area.
We Want Your Input
To offer suggestions, or express your concerns about our Paratransit services, please visit contact us one of the following ways:
- Online at http://www.gohrt.com/contact/customer-feedback/
- Call (757) 222-6100 or TDD/TTY customers call 711 for Virginia relay service
- Write to us at:
Hampton Roads Transit
Attention Paratransit Services
3400 Victoria Boulevard
Hampton, VA 23661
Two standing committees meet regularly to discuss issues of concern to the Paratransit community. They are open and welcoming.
As a visitor, all Hampton Roads Transit Paratransit service policies and procedures are to be followed. Eligible visitors may use Hampton Roads Transit Paratransit service for a total of 60 days per year. Beyond those 60 days will require the standard eligibility process for permanent use.
For information in alternative format, please call the Paratransit Department at (757) 222-6087 or email us at email@example.com.