Virginia Beach Transit Extension Study
Draft environmental impact study released. The full report can be viewed and downloaded below.
The Virginia Beach Transit Extension Study (VBTES) is a multi‐year study evaluating the range of alternatives for extending The Tide light rail transit east into Virginia Beach. The VBTES Corridor is centered on the former Norfolk Southern railroad right‐of‐way and generally parallels I‐264 . This draft environmental impact statement provides a comparative analysis of the benefits and impacts of the alternatives being considered in the VBTES.
The study fulfills the requirements outlined in the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969. It describes the transportation alternatives being considered and evaluates the full range of project-related impacts to the built and natural environments. Potential mitigation strategies were also identified to address impacts resulting from the build alternatives.
The level of impacts associated with the build alternatives were analyzed for a variety of existing conditions in the study corridor and fall under three broad categories: transportation, social effects, and environmental effects. The full range of impacts and mitigation strategies are discussed throughout this document.
Another important element of the draft environmental impact study process is ongoing engagement with community members and stakeholders through public forums and meetings. Formal comment period in the DEIS is from March 20 through May 5 with four formal public hearings scheduled in April. Outreach efforts also involved coordination with local, state, and federal resource agencies.
- Table of Contents
- Executive Summary
- Signature Page
- Chapter 1
- Chapter 2
- Chapter 3
- Chapter 4
- Chapter 5
- Chapter 6
- Chapter 7
- Chapter 8
- Appendix A – List of Preparers
- Appendix B – List of Recipients
- Appendix C – Glossary and List of Abbreviations
- Appendix E – Agency Coordination and Correspondence
- Appendix G-1 – LRT Conceptual Plans Alternatives 1A-B and Alternative 2
- Appendix G-2 – LRT Conceptual Plans Alternative 3
- Appendix G-3 – BRT Conceptual Plans Alternatives 1A-B and Alternative 2
- Appendix G-4 – BRT Conceptual Plans Alternative 3
- Appendix H – Conceptual Cost Estimates
- Appendix I – Cultural Resources Reconnaissance Report
- Appendix J – Traffic Operations Report
- Appendix K – Ridership Forecasting Results Report
- Appendix L – Public Involvement Report
- Appendix M – Wetlands Field Investigation Report
- Appendix N – Acquisitions and Displacements
- Appendix O – Limit of Disturbance Maps
- Appendix Q – Noise and Vibration Technical Report
- Appendix R – Phase I and Phase II Site Assessment Reports
- Appendix S – City of Virginia Beach Shared Use Path Study