Sunday Sept. 4, 2016
Hampton Roads Transit will provide shuttle bus service again this year for participants in the 2016 Rock ‘n’ Roll Half Marathon race. HRT will carry runners to the starting line from designated points at the Oceanfront and bring runners back to the place where they boarded the bus.
Traffic congestion will be heavy before, during and after the race. For anyone driving to the Oceanfront, please read all information in your race packets and plan ahead.
New this year, the Virginia Beach Amphitheater will no longer serve as a staging point for runners.
The starting line is located on 19th Street in front of the Virginia Beach Convention Center. The finish line is on the Boardwalk at 13th Street. The start and the finish are approximately one and a half miles apart. Click here for course map.
All HRT shuttle buses in support of the race will operate within the Oceanfront and the campgrounds. Buses will begin loading runners at 4:30 a.m. to take them to the starting line near the Convention Center. The last trip to the Convention Center departs at 6 a.m.
- For list of HRT service adjustments for the race, click here.
- For list of road closures, click here.
Before the race
Runners can board buses at these locations. All buses will take customers to Parks Avenue, near the starting line.
- 57th Street – three buses assigned
- 40th Street – five buses assigned
- 33rd Street – six buses assigned
- 25th Street – seven buses assigned
- 19th Street – seven buses assigned
- 11th Street – seven buses assigned
- Holiday Travel Park: One bus will arrive at 4:30 a.m. They will alight on the west side of Parks Avenue. Until 6:15 a.m.
- KOA: One bus will arrive at 4:30 a.m. they will alight on the west side of Parks Avenue.
After the race
At 8:30 a.m. all of the buses will be assigned to Atlantic Avenue to take runners back to their various points of origin. HRT, race and city personnel will be on hand to direct people.
A bus will be placed at each of the following locations to help runners and other race participants find a cool place to rest if they need it.
- Pacific Avenue and 5th Street
- General Booth Boulevard near Birdneck Road
- Jefferson and D Street in Camp Pendleton