The Fleet Technician is responsible for all facets of bus maintenance including but not limited to; high level diagnostics, perform various types of preventive maintenance, repair of all subsystems associated with a transit bus or support vehicle either in the field or at Operations garage. Fleet Technician will also perform road service calls and/or work assigned by the Maintenance Supervisor.
Essential Job Functions
(Duties listed are neither intended to be all inclusive nor to limit duties that might reasonably be assigned.)
- Perform root-cause troubleshooting and repair of all HRT vehicles.
- Ensure accurate diagnosis and the effective repair and/or replacement of components necessary for the proper functioning of assigned equipment using advanced diagnostic equipment.
- Effectively and efficiently perform preventive maintenance inspections.
- Ensure the timely and effective repair of any problems identified in the course of maintenance activities.
- Maintain and demonstrate a high level of proficiency in:
- Troubleshooting and repair of vehicle fuel delivery systems, engines and transmissions using on-board diagnostics and appropriate scan tools.
- Repairing and inspecting air conditioning units and wheelchair lifts.
- Troubleshooting vehicle electronic systems using multiplex and/or electronic control module.
- Repairing and adjusting all components of steering and suspension systems.
- Testing, repairing and/or replacing components of electrical, electronic and lighting systems.
- Diagnosis and repair of hybrid systems.
- Repairing and overhauling brake systems.
- Road testing vehicles to ensure safety and quality of work performed.
- Use of maintenance documentation and online services.
- Adhere to the highest quality standards and meets or exceeds the original equipment manufacturers’ requirements in the performance of all job responsibilities.
- Advise supervisor immediately if additional work is needed, if work outlined is not needed, or if repairs cannot be completed within the promised time frame.
- Operate forktruck.
- Perform other maintenance duties or assignments as requested including but not limited to lower rated work.
- Ability to utilize Windows and other computer programs.
- Interact effectively, courteously, and professionally with operations department employees and other HRT employees regarding vehicle repairs and other shop business.
- Assume primary responsibility of assigned projects.
- Complete all required written and/or automated work orders and other documentation as required.
- Report inoperable equipment, equipment abuse or component tampering to the supervisor.
- Be involved in the daily operation of the shop and be able to fill in during the absence of the supervisor.
- Train other HRT employees in the safe and efficient performance of fleet maintenance and proper operation of required maintenance equipment/tooling.
- Possess the ability to interpret maintenance manuals, wiring diagrams, electronic schematics, ladder logic, and other documents and to safely operate all company equipment.
- Maintain a clean, safe work area in compliance with HRT/OSHA standards.
- Responsible for the proper use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Safely uses all power and hand held mechanic/diagnostic tools.
- Maintain awareness and compliance with all current HRT, local, state, and federal regulations, such as regulations governing the handling and disposal of hazardous waste and use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
HRT Environmental Management System (EMS)
- Responsible for maintaining a general awareness of HRT’s EMS.
- Responsible for handling all related job responsibilities in accordance to HRT’s Environmental Policy, relevant EMS Standard Operating Procedures, and Emergency Management Plan.
- Associates Degree/Vocational Training certificate in Automotive Technologies with (3) three years mechanical experience in a diesel fleet environment.
- ASE certifications H8 or T8 and 3 of either H2-H7 or T2-T7. Preference will be given to candidates possessing certifications needed to fill department skill gaps at the time of application.
- Complete Mechanic I, II, and III Employee qualification requirements with ten (10) years heavy duty maintenance experience.
Must have proficiency in the diagnosis and repair of all HRT vehicles and be able to read/comprehend written and electronic service information with experience as outlined above.
Licenses or Certificates
Must have CDL Class B license and/or CDL Permit and the ability to acquire within sixty (60) days of employment a valid Virginia CDL Class B license with air brake and passenger endorsements. Must have or acquire within the probation period (90 working days post hire) EPA Section 609 Refrigerant Recycling and Recovery Certification.
- Written and verbal communication and presentation skills. Must be able interpret and carry out verbal and written assignments.
- Ability to pass DOT physical examination.
- Must pass HRT’s written and technical skills assessment(s) with a minimum 80% score for each segment to be considered for employment in the position.
- Must demonstrate proficiency in the Employee qualification requirements for the Mechanic I, II and III position(s) within the position probation period (90 working days post hire).
- Must meet ongoing educational, training and DOT requirements to retain employment in this position.
- Must be able to pass federal government background screening process for local military installation access.
- This position is classified as essential personnel and Safety-Sensitive.
Must be able to lift fifty (50) lbs as well as capable of prolonged periods of standing, walking, squatting, twisting and reaching. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must be able to work in all weather conditions and on all work shifts including weekends and holidays. Hampton Roads Transit is a 24/7/365 operation. Incumbents in the position will be required to work variable shifts as assigned. Duties may require overtime to meet service demands. Overtime is mandatory for this position. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.Apply Now
Drug tests are required for all positions. Participation in HRT’s Drug Free work place program is a requirement for all employees, and therefore is a condition of employment.