Bus Safety Tips
Hampton Roads Transit wants you to be safe when riding our buses. Just follow these safety tips and enjoy the ride:
- Use designated crosswalks and sidewalks to reach the bus stop. Never walk in a traffic lane.
- Always wait for buses on the sidewalk at designated stops/shelters.
- Always stand 2-3 feet from the curb and wait for the bus to come to a complete stop before approaching the bus.
- Always enter the bus through the front door.
- Allow others to exit before boarding.
- Keep children close and board together.
- Be sure to use the handrails to avoid slipping and/or falling.
- Never cross in front of or behind the bus.
- Give elderly and disabled persons priority seating located near the front of bus.
- Always stand behind the yellow line.
- Never stand in the stairwell while the bus is in motion.
- Avoid conversation with the driver while the bus is in motion; conversations lead to distracting the driver.
- Don’t lean or press on the doors while bus is in motion.
- Stay seated unless you are holding on to a handrail.
- Keep hands, feet and items clear from closing doors.
- Keep your head and arms inside the bus window.
- Keep your feet on the floor and do not extend arms, legs or personal items into the aisle.
- Wheelchair passengers are advised to use the shoulder restraint when riding.
- Always wait until the bus has come to a complete stop before leaving your seat and exiting the bus.
- Always exit the bus through the door nearest you.
- Step onto the sidewalk – don’t walk between the side of the bus and the curb.
- Use designated crosswalks when exiting the bus. Never walk in a traffic lane.
- Always wait for the bus to pull off before crossing the street.
- Never run after a bus after it has pulled away from the stop.
- Pay attention to your surroundings.
- If you drop something near the bus, wait until the bus has pulled away before attempting to pick it up.