Train For A Career As An HRT Bus Operator
DriveNOW is a training program that prepares Hampton Roads residents for a career as a Bus Operator with Hampton Roads Transit.
The program, entirely free for eligible participants, is a partnership among the City of Hampton WorkOne Center and HRT to offer training that will equip residents with a learners Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), a Virginia Career Readiness Certificate, along with customer service and workplace essential skills.
The DriveNOW Job Skills Training Program (JSTP) classes will be held Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. After successful completion of the Job Skills Training Program, participants will receive additional on the job training required to earn a CDL Class B license and start full-time employment with HRT as a Bus Operator Trainee. Once hired as Bus Operator Trainees, participants will receive additional training.
- $14.55/hour (starting wage)
- 40 hours guaranteed after program completion
- Training for CDL Permit & CDL B License
- Excellent Medical & Dental Insurance
- Opportunities for advancement/Career Growth
- Uniform Allowance
Applications accepted until February 16, 2020
- Complete the application
- Participants must reside in Hampton
- Valid VA Driver’s License (issued on or before 03/02/2018)
- GED or High School Diploma or passing CASAS testing score (testing provided)
- Drug screening
- Criminal background check (no pending charges or convictions of any barrier crimes)
- Ability to meet the required Medical Examiner’s criteria
- Not failed the CDL Learners Permit test more than one time
- Must have active driver’s license for at least two years (issued on or before 03/02/2018)
- No DWI/DUI convictions within the last 5 years
- Must be willing to work overnight, weekends, holidays, split shifts, and during inclement weather